Friday, February 13, 2015

Why I Don't Wear Makeup

This was mostly written late Wednesday night... 

I don't wear makeup because it costs money.
I don't wear makeup because I don't know how. 
I don't wear makeup because I don't have time.
I don't wear makeup because my mom hasn't worn makeup since my brother ruined her last tube of lipstick, causing her to throw it out and realize that any other makeup she had was dried out.
I don't wear makeup because the only time I really wanted to, I was too young to wear it anyway.
I don't wear makeup because I have always known that if I start using one type of product, I would soon become sucked into all of it.
I don't wear makeup because I know God made me the way I am, and if he wanted me to look different, he would have made me that way. 
I don't wear makeup... because I just played around with some colored chap-stick for about 5 minutes... and I was shocked with my own behavior when I realized how I was acting. 

Maybe it's because it was late at night.
Maybe it's because I knew everyone else was sleeping, therefore there was no chance of anybody walking in. 
Maybe it's because I tend to play around and be weird late at night in the bathroom anyway. 
Maybe it's because I was wearing a too tight, too thin, T-shirt that I normally only wear underneath other clothes.
Maybe it's because I was drawn in by the contrast of the white shirt, and dark hair, and red lips.
Maybe that's the point.

Makeup is one of those things that I know, if I wanted to and if I could actually manage to apply it correctly, I could pull it off, and pull it off well.

I've heard different opinions on how guys feel about makeup. I've heard that it makes a difference, and I've also heard that they tend to not notice (therefore not making a difference) whether or not a girl is wearing makeup. I can't help but wonder what thoughts would have gone through a guy's head if they had seen me, knowing that the color contrasts on myself were appealing to me...

No, I don't know how guys feel about makeup, but I do know this: 


          My attitude changed as soon as I saw myself with that lipstick on... and as soon as I had wiped it off and looked back in the mirror. 

My attitude, my thoughts, my emotions, my motives... all changed. And no, not in a good way.   

Maybe it's because I've never really worn makeup before (once while I was at a friends house doesn't really count..), but that doesn't sound like a reasonable excuse to me. 
Somewhere, in those 5 minutes, my thoughts and actions when from "Okay, I did a decent job of putting it on, and it doesn't look so bad.." and smiling at myself in the mirror to "Oh, yeah! Man I look good!" and making kissy lips at the mirror. 

If you ask me, that's not okay. 

Now, before you accuse me of calling out all the girls who wear makeup, let me make my next point. 
I don't have anything against makeup. Just like I don't have anything against nice looking hair, or cute clothes. But, just as with clothes and hair, I believe that there is, or needs to be, a balance.

Cute clothes that look nice and flatter you? YES!
Tight revealing items that draw attention? Expensive designer clothes that are right off the run way or the trendy new fashion? Shirts that come down just a little lower? Or shorts that are just a few inches shorter?

Hair that's styled in a way to frame your face, or compliment your outfit, or that's held by a fancy clip? YES!
Hair that took you hours to do? Hair that has more product in it than the fingers on your hand? Hair that's styled in a way to turn heads, and make you stand out in a crowd?

Makeup that compliments your God-given features, and brings out your best qualities? Yes. 
Makeup that's used to cover up your 'imperfections' and 'flaws'? Makeup that has to be put on before you can go anywhere, or anyone can see you? Makeup that's worn to draw attention to your self? 

First of all, you are made by God. God isn't capable of making anything with 'imperfections' or 'flaws'. Therefore, you don't have any.
Secondly, anything that's done for the sole purpose of bringing attention to yourself, or your body, is wrong. 

If it's your choice to wear makeup, then that's exactly what it is. It's your choice. But know that you are beautiful without it, and the only reason you should want to wear makeup is because you want to. And you want to because you want to glorify God and honor Him in the way you look. And if you believe that making your lashes look longer, or showing off your lips with some color is honoring God through the way you look, then I'm all for it! I will stand beside you and defend you from those who might say you can't or shouldn't wear makeup. I'd even be willing to play around in the bathroom and put some on with you. 

I choose not to wear makeup because I would rather gain an extra 15 to 30-or-so minutes of sleep, instead of putting makeup on. 
I choose not to wear makeup because I would rather spend my money on other things such as clothes or chocolate or other such pleasures. 
I choose not to wear makeup because (unless I have a big pimple show up) I don't care if I wear it or not. 
I choose not to wear makeup because I've lived for as long as I have without it, and I don't see the need to start now. 
I choose not to wear makeup because I don't want to be seen for my makeup. I want to be seen as me. 
I choose not to wear makeup because I don't want to present a false picture. 
I choose not to wear makeup because if there's a chance it draws more attention to myself, then I would rather not have that attention. 
I choose not to wear makeup because I don't want to. And that's my choice. 

What do you think about makeup?

~The Random Rambler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thanks for reading. I'd love to know what you think about what I said. Leave your thoughts below. I can't wait to read them.